Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Shout out for Francine Prose

Ok, I just have to give a huge huge huge (I guess I could have just said gigantic) shout out to Francine Prose, author of Reading Like a Writer.

This book is amazing. For the past couple of years I keep hearing, "If you want to write then read, read, read." I get that. But nobody has ever explained how to "read". Yes, I know that last sentence sounded funny. Think about it though. There are fast readers and slow readers, readers that skip everything that isn't dialogue and readers that read all of it. So I took the advice and just kept reading. I read the way I always have - for enjoyment.

But Mrs. (or Ms., I don't know) Prose introduces how to read like a writer. I'm not even halfway through her book but I've already implemented some of the things she talks about. Let's put it this way - on average it takes me three days to read a book. However, with my current book it's taken me five days to read to chapter three. And I have learned more than I ever have. And you know what - it's made my writing a heck of a lot easier.

A light bulb went off in my head - and I love it!

And to make things even better, there is a mighty wind storm right now in Utah - and it just blew off one of the hideous, slightly pink, shudders one my house. Now I can justify buying brand new, gorgeously black, shudders. I can't wait!

And just so you know - I never go back through and fix all my writing errors in these posts. All rules go out the window and I just write. How liberating after dissecting every word and punctuation mark in my manuscript!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Such a great post! My college creative writing teacher gave us tons to read but didn't tell us HOW to read as a writer--it's a skill all its own, isn't it? I'll have to jot that book down on my to-read list.

    (Yay for the shutter blowing away!)

    ReplyDelete